Australian Political Parties
This is intended only as a quick guide to the policies (where they exist) of the major Australian federal
(* as at 26/08/13).
- Current Register of Political Parties As at 9 August 2013 The Australian Electoral Commission "maintains a register of political parties. This register lists those parties which are eligible to have their party affiliation next to their endorsed candidates printed on ballot papers."
- OpenAustralia.org is a non-partisan website run by a charity, the OpenAustralia Foundation and volunteers. It aims to make it easy for people to keep tabs on their representatives in Parliament.
- Australian Democrats: Policy
Index Pick a box and go to a standard page with basic summary, then choose PDFs.
- Australian Greens Party: Policies
Index Scroll to below the email sign up for individual policy areas, which go to an html page, or download the full PDF from this page.
- Australian Labor Party: What we're for Scroll down individual policies, and read more to go to a standard page with more links or embedded PDFs.
- Australian Liberal Party: Policies index. PDF links to individual brochures. (They must think we're already on the NBN or broadband with unlimited bandwidth.)
- National Party of Australia: Policy
Index PDF link to full brochure front and centre, or scroll down to see indvidual policy links to PDF files.
- Palmer United Party: Policies Basic postion statements, with link to full PDF download.
- Big Volcano Government Services Links Contact details and links to Local Goverment Area (LGA) Councils, state and federal representatives for the Northern Rivers NSW, Gold Coast and Hinterland QLD region of Australia.
A new sub category, these are sites where you can create a petition for your cause, or join an existing online movement for change. Also check out the enviromental organisations and their campaigns below, as they often host associated petitions directly.
- 9 online petition tools: How to make a difference Some of the options might surprise you! An article about - you guessed it, 9 online petition tools, from SocialBrite ("helping nonprofits, NGOs, foundations, social enterprises, universities, and cause organizations use social media to advance your organization's mission.").
- Avaaz "meaning "voice" in several European, Middle Eastern and Asian languages - launched in 2007 with a simple democratic mission: organize citizens of all nations to close the gap between the world we have and the world most people everywhere want." Where worlds collide. You'll find pro and con, for and against just about every cause, outrage, ill and woe there is. Choose carefully ...
- Causes "is built for change. We provide free and easy tools for passionate people to spread the word, find supporters, raise money, and build momentum."
- Change.org "is the world's largest petition platform, empowering people everywhere to create the change they want to see." What! You haven't already signed a change.org petition?
- GetUp "does not back any particular party, but aims to build an accountable and progressive Australia - an Australia which values economic fairness, social justice and environmental sustainability at its core." The political right likes to rail against Getup as a political left/Labor front. Well, didn't they read the Getup's "about us"? Not a petition site as such, but they have campaigns, often with petitions which you can sign, that will be submitted to state and/or federal govt.
- e-petitions "are an easy, personal way for you to influence government and Parliament in the UK. You can create an e-petition about anything that the government is responsible for and if it gets at least 100,000 signatures, it will be considered for debate in the House of Commons." Gor Blimey! The Brits want to hear from the people they represent.
- We the People. "The right to petition your government is guaranteed by the First Amendment of the United States Constitution. ... If a petition gets enough support, White House staff will review it, ensure it's sent to the appropriate policy experts, and issue an official response." The petitions are coming! The petitions are coming! To pen! To pen! The petitions are coming! (OK, not so much a pen as a keypad.)
See also Democracy &
Human Rights, Development and
Environment and Humanitarian
Aid, Non Government Agencies
- UNEP United Nations Environment Programme
Environment for Development. To provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations."
- Friends of the Earth Oceans and Forests Cruise ships campaign [we] "are advocating for laws and regulations to stop cruise ships from dumping waste into our oceans, polluting our beaches, contaminating our coral reefs, and destroying our valuable marine ecology."
- The Doomsday
Clock It's been as long as 17 minutes and as short as 2 minutes. In 2012 the Doomsday Clock was reset to include the impact of climate change. With a redesigned site, the Doomsday Clock page now includes a timeline going back to 1947. (see also Wikipedia)
Cross International "The mission of Green Cross International is to respond to the combined challenges of security, poverty and environmental degradation to ensure a sustainable and secure future. We seek solutions through dialogue, mediation and co-operation."
- International Campaign to Ban Landmines *A
network of more than 1,400 groups in over 90 countries, works locally,
nationally and internationally to eradicate antipersonnel mines.
Members include human rights, humanitarian, children,
peace, disability, veterans, medical, humanitarian, mine action,
development, arms control, religious, environmental and women’s
- International Dark-Sky Association "To
preserve and protect the nighttime environment and our heritage
of dark skies through quality outdoor lighting." ...
Light pollution is not a matter of life and death. Yet it
is important nonetheless, ... It produces only glare and
clutter, costing more than $1 billion annually in wasted
energy in the United States alone. Reducing light pollution
is not difficult, but it does require that public officials
and ordinary citizens be aware of the problem and act to
counter it. ..." What can YOU DO? Lot's! And
there's plenty of practical material on this site to ...
(ahem) show you the light at the end of the tunnel.
- IUCN, International Union for Conservation of Nature, "helps the world find pragmatic solutions to our most pressing environment and development challenges." English, Français, Español
- The Nature Conservancy "The mission of The Nature Conservancy is to preserve the plants, animals and natural communities that represent the diversity of life on Earth by protecting the lands and waters they need to survive."
- Mines and Communities is
"We provide communities, NGOs, activists, the media - and the general public - with information about many aspects of global mining and its impacts."
- Australian Conservation Foundation "Protect,
restore and sustain". National directions, state and Asia
Pacific issues, and a very interesting list of links to other sites,
ranging from business forums to political parties.
- Australian Wildlife
is an independent, non-profit organisation dedicated to the
conservation of Australia’s threatened wildlife and
ecosystems. Funded by tax-deductible donations, AWC
is taking action to protect Australia’s wildlife by
... Acquiring land to establish sanctuaries for the conservation
of threatened species and ecosystems ... AWC now owns and
manages for conservation more land (917,000 ha) than any
other non-government environment organization in Australia
[and] protect over 100 threatened ecosystems and 135 threatened
- Big Volcano Directory
of local Environmental Organisations Links where available
and contact phone numbers for organisations in the Northern
Rivers NSW, Gold Coast QLD region of Australia.
Biosphere Reserve On
Saturday 7 December 2002, environment
groups based around the Mount Warning
shield volcano hosted an initial
public meeting to discuss a proposal
for a biosphere reserve in this area. A
number of meetings have been held
with more planned, to encourage local
communities, stakeholders and interest
groups to provide input into the
nomination and management, to reduce
our collective environmental footprint.
Environment Centre "The Byron
Environment Centre (BEC) is an incorporated
body that has continuously operated as
environmental information and resource
provider in Byron Shire for well over 10
years. It serves as a contact point and
meeting place and gives technical and campaign
support to other groups in the area. Because
of Byron's natural beauty, the region is
under constant threat from developers and
other commercial interests. The continuing
presence of the BEC ensures that the environmental
values of the area are not forgotten." As
you'd expect from the creative types that
Bay, a slick, chic and smartly designed
web site, with easy navigation to campaigns,
useful links, membership info. (of course!)
- Bush Heritage "Bush Heritage is a non-profit conservation organisation dedicated to protecting Australia's unique animals, plants and their habitats. We have a simple, practical formula for protecting the bush – we buy land of outstanding conservation value, then care for it." Redesign looks great, and loads fast on a standard satellite connection.
- Centre for Science and Environment,
India "The Centre for Science and Environment (CSE) is a public interest research and advocacy organisation based in New Delhi. CSE researches into, lobbies for and communicates the urgency of development that is both sustainable and equitable."
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities The department is responsible for implementing the Australian Government's policies to protect our environment and heritage, and to promote a sustainable way of life Coasts and marine
- Fraser Island Defenders Organisation
(FIDO) "FIDO has a proud history of more than a
quarter of a century of campaigning achievements to protect
one of the greatest natural wonders of the world. FIDO's
aim has always been "to ensure the wisest use of the
natural resources of Fraser Island". Simple text
based site, with lot's of interesting info. relating to Fraser
Island, including dingo management, light rail proposal,
positive and negative values of tourism, 2020
Vison and more, so your back button will get a good work
- Green Cross Australia "helps people adapt to our changing climate, in ways that embrace sustainability and community resilience. We are motivated by our understanding of a resource-constrained, warming planet and our belief that this challenge presents opportunities for a bright future.
- Greenpeace Australia Pacific Australian
campaigns and links to international offices
- National Parks Association of
New South Wales (NPA) "National Parks Association of NSW is a non-government conservation group that seeks to protect, connect and restore the integrity and diversity of natural systems in NSW and beyond, through national parks, marine sanctuaries and other means." Completely revamped site, looks good.
- The Nature Conservation Council
of NSW (NCC) "The voice for the environment since 1955. ... is a non-profit, non-government organisation representing more than 120 community environment groups across NSW. NCC is the state's peak environment organisation and has a strong reputation for leading effective action and influencing the direction of environment protection in NSW." Another site revamp that looks good.
- Northern Rivers Guardians Promoting and working for appropriate development in the Tweed Valley and the broader Northern Rivers of NSW. Campaigns include No Rally in the Valley and Coal Seam Gas Exploration (CSGE).
- Pacific Peoples' Partnership "...is celebrating 40 years of action. We are Canada's only non-profit, NGO social justice organization devoted exclusively to working in solidarity with peoples of the South Pacific to promote their aspirations for peace, justice, environmental sustainability and community development."
- Planet Ark "Planet Ark supports individuals and businesses that want to reduce their day-to-day impact on the environment."
Australian based environmental organisation offering
recycling solutions for by-products of our current
lifestyles, plus environmental news from around
- Walkabout Wildlife Park
(formerly Calga Springs Sanctuary) "Local people working with Australia Walkabout Wildlife Park, playing an active role in preserving and increasing populations of rare and endangered Australian animals and plants"
- World Wide Fund For Nature - Australia "WWF's
mission is to stop the degradation of the planet's natural environment
and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature,
by: conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that
the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable and promoting
the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption."
Environment and Conservation on the Internet Extenisve
links directory with descriptions to African and international
resources, from Leland Stanford Junior University.
- African Links
to wildlife conservation organizations and more Excellent
selection of links with brief descriptions, from a USA based
licensed safari travel consultancy.
- European Environmental Bureau " We stand for environmental justice, sustainable development and participatory democracy. Our aim is to ensure the EU secures a healthy environment and rich biodiversity for all."
Directory of Environmental Organisations in the Western Cape South
African web directory of local organisations, with name,
web link and short description/purpose.
- Amazon Watch
"works to defend the environment and rights of
the indigenous peoples of the Amazon basin."
Crisis Papers "Political Opinion and Commentary for the Progressive Internet."
- Environment and Conservation - Canadian Links "Our
world is our environment. It is the air we breath, the water
we drink and the food we eat. It is where we live, play and
love. It is our home -- OUR HOME!!! If we do not take care of it
we will destroy ourselves. Given that we live in this world
and we have been instructed to be stewards of it, I have
included in this section links to organizations and groups
that I support either actively or in intent." A
web site lovingly and thoughtfully designed, with
great links resources.
- National Parks Conservation Association "To protect and enhance America's National Parks for present and future generations."
- No Impact Man "A
guilty liberal finally snaps, swears off plastic, goes organic,
becomes a bicycle Nazi, turns off his power, composts his poop
and, while living in New York City, generally turns into a tree-hugging
lunatic who tries to save polar bears and the rest of the planet
from environmental catastrophe while dragging his baby daughter
and Prada-wearing, Four Seasons-loving wife along for the ride". From
little things big things grow#. My
first link to a blog, you might prefer to read the "The
Personal Impact of No Impact" post first. If you're
not hooked and visit every other day, I'd be surprised!
- Rainforest Action Network (RAN) is headquartered in San Francisco, California with office staff in Tokyo, Japan, plus thousands of volunteer scientists, teachers, parents, students and other concerned citizens around the world. We believe that a sustainable world can be created in our lifetime, and that aggressive action must be taken immediately to leave a safe and secure world for our children.
- Sierra Club Home Page Founded
in 1892, The Sierra Club has over 700,000 members. Their mission
is to: "Explore, enjoy, and protect
the wild places of the earth. Practice and promote the responsible
use of the earth's ecosystems and resources. Educate and enlist
humanity to protect and restore the quality of the natural and
human environment. Use all lawful means to carry out these objectives."
- UNEP - Regional Office for Latin
America and the Caribbean"
The regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean (ROLAC) located in Panama City works closely with the 33 countries of the region - including 13 small island developing States, with a population of about 570 million people. The office works to serve the needs of the region and its activities are integrated into the work programs approved by the Governing Council of UNEP. Programa
de las Naciones Unidas para el Medio Ambiente (Espanol) Medio Ambiente por el desarrollo Oficina Regional para América Latina y el Caribe
See also Sustainable Design & Management,
Development and Environment, Ecologically Sustainable Development
and Volunteer and Community Tourism
* ref. "... save
the planet": Film
- Independence Day, 1996, David Martin (Jeff