Original Big Volcano Ecotourism Bookshop
The titles below
are seminal publications in the field pre 1999, which may still be useful. Please
note, some titles may have updated editions which are now available via featured "Search Results from Amazon" banners or a search at Amazon or from your preferred book store.
Tourism : An Australian Perspective Rob
Harris (Editor), Neil Leiper (Editor) / Paperback
/ Published 1995.
Tourism Development : Guide for Local Planners
(A Tourism and the Environment Publication) George
McIntyre, et al / Paperback / Published 1993.
: A Sustainable Option? Erlet Cater,
Gwen Lowman (Editor) / Hardcover / Published
Tourism : Managing for the Environment Tensie
Whelan (Editor) / Paperback / Published
Tourism and Ecotravel : The Paving of Paradise
and What You Can Do to Stop It Deborah
McLaren / Paperback / Published 1997
Quest for the Other : Ethnic Tourism in San
Cristobal, Mexico Pierre L. Van Den Berghe
/ Hardcover / Published 1994
on Tourism Development and the Responsibility
of the State : Budapest, Hungary, 15 February
1993 World Tourism Organization / Paperback
/ Published 1993
: Economic, Physical and Social Impacts ~
Alister Mathieson, Geoffrey Wall / Paperback
/ Published 1992
Alternatives : Potentials and Problems in
the Development of Tourism Valene L.
Smith (Editor), William R. Eadington (Editor)
/ Paperback / Published 1997
Analysis : A Handbook ~ Stephen L. J.
Smith / Paperback / Published 1996
- Marcus L.
Endicott's Storefront - Lulu.com "The
definitive how-to book for world travel,
Vagabond Globetrotting was first published
in 1984 at the dawn of the information age.
A second, updated edition appeared in 1989.
Endicott's next book "The
Electronic Traveler" introduced readers for
the first time to the nascent travel resources
available in the then largely unexplored cyberspace.
This twentieth anniversary edition of Vagabond
Globetrotting has been extensively revised and
includes hundreds of essential web sites for travelers
as well as indispensable tips, checklists, and
>> Audiobook : Vagabond Globetrotting 3
- The International Ecotourism Society: TIES Research Papers "Review and download TIES e-publications and eBooks. *Access to these publications is limited to TIES members."
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management "Founded in 1967, Emerald today manages a range of digital products, a portfolio of nearly 300 journals, more than 2,500 books and over 450 teaching cases." Purchase individual articles, track citations or get reprints and permissions.
- International Journal of Tourism Research " ...promotes and enhances research developments in the field of tourism. The journal provides an international platform for debate and dissemination of research findings whilst also facilitating the discussion of new research areas and techniques". Wiley Online Library
- Ecotourism and Environmental Sustainability (UK) "This book offers conceptual and practical insights into the complex interactions between ecotourism and the natural environment, with consideration given to government policy, marketing by suppliers, consumer behaviour and visitor/environmental management."
- Pearson Education (UK) Tourism and Travel Books "...provide a range of education products and services to institutions and direct to individual learners... ."
- Edward Elgar Publishing (UK): Tourism "...is a leading international academic and professional publisher with a strong focus on the social sciences and legal fields. We publish 350 titles annually and have successfully created a prestigious list of over 5,500 titles."
- University Bookshop (NZ) "...started out in 1966 as the supplier of textbooks for the University of Auckland. Our philosophy has always been to be a competitive provider of textbooks, literature, educational and professional material to the tertiary and professional sectors."
- NZ Science Monthly "...covered what was happening in New Zealand science and technology from 1990 to 2000. These online archives are free to view; if you want to reprint something, please contact the editor."
- Tourism Research Australia "...is Australia's leading provider of quality tourism intelligence across both international and domestic markets. We equip industry with information to strengthen their marketing and business decisions. Our data underpin government tourism policy and help improve the performance of the tourism industry for the benefit of the Australian community." Australian tourism research and data reports, and industry resources including tips, action plans and toolkits for operators.
- The Travel and Tourism Research Association (ttra) publishes the Journal of Travel Research and "...is a non-profit association whose major purpose is to increase the quality, value, effectiveness and use of research in travel marketing, planning and development." Publications abstracts and conference presentations available, with full conference proceedings available to ttra members.
- The Journal of Sustainable Tourism "...is a leading tourism journal which advances critical understanding of the relationships between tourism and sustainable development. It publishes theoretical, conceptual and empirical research that explores one or more of the economic, social, cultural, political, organisational or environmental aspects of the subject."
- The Asia Pacific Tourism Association (APTA) "...is devoted to the tourism and hospitality research in the area of Asia Pacific. A conference is held annually and a SSCI listed journal (Asia Pacific Journal of Tourism Research, APJTR) is published. Its quality research papers are distributed all over the world."
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Management is the official journal of CAUTHE (Council for Australasian University Tourism and Hospitality Education Inc.) The journal is committed to a broad range of topics including tourism and travel management, leisure and recreation studies and the emerging field of event management.
- Journal of Tourism Management " Research, Policies, Practice. Tourism Management is the leading international journal for all those concerned with the planning and management of travel and tourism."
Other Libraries and Bookshops
These libraries offer online resources for download (Usually
in PDF) or have hardcopy available for purchase, specifically
in the areas of tourism, hospitality, environment and
- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) "... is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism." > What we do "UNWTO works in six main areas - competitiveness, sustainability, poverty reduction, capacity building, partnerships and mainstreaming - to achieve responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism."
- Welcome to UNWTO Publications "One of UNWTO's most important functions is to serve as a permanent source of information for its Members and the world community. UNWTO fulfills this task in part through its extensive programme of publications and the new programme of electronic products. The broad span of these products corresponds to the vast sweep both of the Organization's concerns and of the needs of its Members." Two systems enable you to purchase
- The UNWTO Elibrary "... is an information source offering an unparalleled coverage of research and information in the area of tourism and available to our Member States, Affiliate Members and Subscribers. The subject areas reflect all important themes moving the tourism sector and include, among other, ecotourism, sustainable development, finance and investment, risk and crisis management, market research, tourism statistics and poverty alleviation. The UNWTO Elibrary contains books, journals and statistical reports by country and by indicator."
- www.sustainabletourismonline.com "... is a comprehensive online information resource delivering substantial research, data and tools within three main sustainability themes – Destinations and Communities, Business Operations, and Parks and Culture. It also offers relevant information and knowledge on broader sustainability themes. An online community provides an interactive real-time communication platform for sector professionals to engage in discussions on sustainability issues, challenges and solutions."
- The Department of Environment and Energy library collections "...represent a special resource, and include historic and current material on the environment not available elsewhere."
- EarthPrint "...we are the Official On-Line Supplier, of all books, for the University of London International Programmes. We also distribute around the globe for the UN, UNEP and many other NGO's. We guarantee competitive pricing; secure on-line payment and the most cost effective courier/shipping with Free 0n-Line Tracking. "
- RoutledgeEnvironment and Sustainability ".. offers a broad array of titles from accessible introductions to supplementary readings and from important research to cutting-edge series for a range of academics, professionals and general readers. Our publications cover wide-ranging topics from climate change, natural resources and the environmental humanities to sustainable energy, business and development."
Press "Island Press was established
in 1984 to meet the need for reliable,
peer reviewed information to help solve
environmental problems. We identify
innovative thinkers and emerging trends
in the environmental field. We work
with world-renowned experts and aspiring
authors to develop cross-disciplinary
solutions to environmental challenges.
Then we make sure this information
is communicated effectively to the
widest possible audience – via
our books, electronic media, and outreach
to scientists, policymakers, the news
media, and the general public".
- New Society
ways to building an ecologically sustainable
and just society, and to do so with the least
possible impact on the environment, in a
manner that models this vision. ... the
activist publisher focused on solutions and
social change. Our Books are tools to Build
a New Society. They help you to know the
talk, and walk the talk." North
American orientated publisher.
Institute Notice: This website is online only as an archive & a resource, as Panos London is no longer active. "Panos London's mission is to stimulate informed and inclusive public debate around key development issues in order to foster sustainable and equitable development."
- National Library of New Zealand "This site has been built to make it easier for you to access our collections, services, and advice." Find available publications and collections at the library. >> Books, Ecotourism --New Zealand
- The Coastal-Marine Research Group (C-MRG) "...is established under the auspices of the Institute of Natural and Mathematical Sciences (INMS) at Massey University, Albany, New Zealand." Publications.
- Trove "...helps you find and use resources relating to Australia. It's more than a search engine. Trove brings together content from libraries, museums, archives, repositories and other research and collecting organisations big and small. A list of contributors and partners whose collections are included in Trove can be viewed online."