- What can I do?
National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development (1992). So you wanna be sustainable? Here's the checklist, with lot's of common-sense
solutions. Everything you need to consider
is here, no matter what kind of development
or enterprise you're contemplating. Now in
its 21st year, it's interesting to wonder whether we'd be up the flooded/fire ravaged creek as badly as we are now, had this strategy been fully embraced from the start. See also >> ESD Index which includes links to additional federal and international ESD resources.
Mobbs has been living in his own Sustainable
House in inner city Sydney since 1996.
Cops This was compulsive
TV viewing, with presenters
victims .... er
volunteers, a load of simple, practical
and easy changes that saved
money and in
all cases, reduced their
household carbon emissions
by more than 50% (without sacrificing their lifestyles), and you can too!
Queensland "CCIQ ecoBiz is a free program that helps businesses save thousands of dollars across their power, water and waste bills. Through ecoBiz, businesses put sustainable ideas into practice. The free program consists of a number of tools and events including one-to-one coaching, site survey, tools to benchmark, workshops and webinars."
- ECO-Buy "ECO-Buy supports organisations to implement sustainable procurement through our consulting services, training, resources, and events."
- Greenfleet "Greenfleet's
policy is to plant trees to create forests
in areas of enviornmental concern, putting
back the mix of native species that had been
there originally. The trees are propagated
from seed collected in the local area to
provide maximum ecological benefits - reducing
salinity and soil erosion, and providing
essential habitat for native species. The
majority of our plantings occur in winter
because the rains help to get the trees off
to a good start." An environmentlly
friendly, ecologically restorative, feelgood
way to offset your emissions from car, home
and aircraft use.
Griffith University EcoCentre "is
nestled within the Toohey Forest on the Nathan
campus of the university. ... The design
and operation of the EcoCentre follow strict
“eco-design” principles, and feature solar
energy, ambient ventilation and lighting,
rammed earth walls for temperature regulation,
rainwater collection for “greywater” use,
and wet composting toilets. All reflect domestic
scale environmental technologies that can
be used in the family home."
Gumnut Awards Program "The Gumnut Awards is an environmental rating program for holiday parks caravan and RV dealers and manufacturers and suppliers to the industry. Developed by the Caravan and Camping Industry Association of NSW and independently assessed by the University of Western Sydney, the Awards recognise caravan and camping businesses who have demonstrated a commitment to environmental sustainability and socially responsible management."
Institute for Sustainable Futures
(ISF) “...is a university research institute that creates change towards sustainable futures by conducting independent project based research for Australian and international clients. We draw on a range of methods and tools from different disciplines, creating practical solutions to real world problems.”
Ark "Your daily
guide to helping the planet.
... Planet Ark's aim is
to show people and business
the many ways that they
can reduce their day to
day impact on the environment."
Australian based environmental
organisation offering recycling
solutions for by-products of
our current lifestyles, plus Planet Ark news
- Your Home "is
a suite of guides for home
buyers and renovators to encourage the design, construction
or renovation of homes to be comfortable, healthy
and more environmentally sustainable."
- The Green Hotels and Responsible Tourism Initiative "is an educational resource designed to help travelers, hoteliers, and local communities develop and promote environmental, social, and cultural sustainability by increasing awareness of issues affecting tourism and showcasing best green practices for hoteliers."
- My Green Directory “started life as allthingseco.co.uk in 2006 as an eco directory supporting and promoting businesses with ethics. Listings of companies that sourced their products sustainably were difficult to find at that time and we wanted to provide readers with the chance to find businesses that genuinely followed an environmentally friendly ethos and provided ethical, fair-trade, organic, natural, sustainable and socially responsible products and services all in one place.”
- IISD - Business and
Sustainable Development: A Global Guide "For
the business community, sustainability is
more than mere window-dressing. By adopting
sustainable practices, companies can gain
competitive edge, increase their market share,
and boost shareholder value. What's
more, the growing demand for 'green' products
has created major new markets in which sharp-eyed
eco-entrepreneurs are reaping rewards.
This site explains the strategies and tools that
companies can draw on to translate an aspiration
of sustainability into practical, effective solutions.
Case studies from around the world are provided
as an example of each measure."
Enterprises for Sustainable Travel (BEST) "BEST's
objective is to serve as a leading source
of knowledge on innovative travel and tourism
practices that advance business, community
and travellers' interests and which also
support the economic and social sustainability
of destinations." Excellent series of
case studies, profiles and action papers
available for downloading, in PDF, powerpoint
and video formats, showcasing a variety of
tourism and hospitality operations, ranging
from Snow resorts to Pacific Island hideaways
and multinational businesses, and how they
have incorporated environmentally sustainable
management processes or ecotourism principles
into their tourism or travel operations.
Although some reports and studies have orginally
come from the WTTC and other sources, this site
now provides a worthwhile collection of studies
and papers, which are sure to provide useful "food
for thought" and inspiration to a wide range
of tourism and travel related businesses.
Environmental Directory US
for organic food, cheap solar energy, a sustainable
house, organic cotton, a vegetarian date,
an organic farm, a sustainable community
or eco products?" Simple table based,
fast loading design to manufacturers, retailers
and organisations worldwide (with focus
on USA), that can supply
environmentally friendly goods and services,
as well as links to important regional and
- Green Sport: A Game Everyone Wins "Environmental responsibility, increasingly recognized as a central aspect of corporate social responsibility, is important not only for recreational sport firms, but for all sport organizations. Three primary motivations for sport firms to embrace environmental responsibility as a management competency are advanced. First, sound environmental stewardship is necessary to halt environmental degradation, maintain livable environments, and ensure the long-term economic health of the sport industry as a whole. ...".
DiCaprio : Eco-Site> Sustainable Practices > Home Good
looking site, with US based issues and resources
info and links. You'll spend a while
- No Impact
guilty liberal finally snaps, swears off plastic,
goes organic, becomes a bicycle Nazi, turns off
his power, composts his poop and, while living
in New York City, generally turns into a tree-hugging
lunatic who tries to save polar bears and the rest
of the planet from environmental catastrophe while
dragging his baby daughter and Prada-wearing, Four
Seasons-loving wife along for the ride". From
little things big things grow#. My
first link to a blog, you might prefer to read
Personal Impact of No Impact" post first. If
you're not hooked and visit every other day, I'd
- Point Carbon "is
a world-leading provider of independent news, analysis
and consulting services for European and global power,
gas and carbon markets. Point Carbon’s
comprehensive services provide professionals with market-moving
information through monitoring fundamental information,
key market players and business and policy developments." Like
my old Ma used to say, "where there's muck, there's
how everyone jumps on the bandwagon as soon as there's
a buck in it!
- Rocky Mountain Institute "RMI advances market-based solutions, engaging businesses, communities, and institutions to cost-effectively shift to efficiency and renewables. We employ rigorous research, analysis, and whole-systems expertise to develop breakthrough insights. We then convene and collaborate with diverse partners—business, government, academic, nonprofit, philanthropic, and military—to accelerate and scale solutions."
- SustainableBusiness.com "We Help Green Businesses Grow. Sustainable businesses offer products and services that fulfill society's needs while contributing to the well-being of all earth's inhabitants."
Department of Energy Smart Communities Network "Information
and services on how your community can adopt sustainable
development as a strategy for well-being. You'll
be in good company. We're finding that more and
more cities, villages, neighborhoods and regions
are using sustainable development as a guiding
principle not only for near-term projects, but
also for planning their futures." Read about
other communities that have discovered the benefits
of sustainable development; Locate technical
and financial resources that can help your community
plan and carry out sustainable development projects; and Access model
codes and ordinances other communities have used
to implement sustainable development." Concise,
informative and readable, with useful links to
other related resources. Oh for the day that the "white
shoe greenwash" developer brigade must heed
- Vancouver Electric
"VEVA started meeting in 1985 and formed
as a non-profit society in 1987 to promote the
development of clean alternative transportation
with a focus on Electric Vehicles." Great
resources, even if many of them on one long scrolling
home page! Loaded fast enough for me on my d/up,
easy on the eye and interesting.
See also Australian Government
Agencies, Ecotourism Projects & Tourism Planning, Outdoor
Recreation & Adventure Activities, Development
and Environment and Ecologically Sustainable Development
# From little things big things