Local Government Agencies
Shire Council (TSC) - Sustainability "Sustainability is about finding the right balance between environmental protection, economic development and social equity. It begins with an understanding that it is the environment that ultimately supports society and the economy for without a healthy environment, food and water supply is jeopardised, quality of life declines, tourism and associated business suffer and the shire no longer becomes a place where people want to live, work and visit. ... Tweed Shire Council's integrated planning and reporting framework which includes the Community Strategic Plan is Council's overarching delivery mechanism for progression towards a sustainable future." Provides information and additional links to TSC initiatives and external links.
- TSC Sustainable Living Centre The Sustainable Living Centre was constructed as part of the Kingscliff Wastewater Treatment Plant at Cudgen. It is only open by group booking and has been designed as an environmental education centre for school and tertiary groups, community groups and Council-related workshops.
Local Government Association - Environment: “Welcome to ALGA's environment protection policy and research area. Environmental management is a core function for local government. Environmental protection is a key role for local government in Australia. The responsibilities of councils across Australia, vary across jurisdictions, and reflect differences in under state and territory legislative and regulatory frameworks. State and territory local government associations deal with state and territory governments on state specific issues.”
- See also Big
Volcano Government Services Links where
available and phone numbers, for local councils,
state and federal political representatives.
State Government Agencies
- New South Wales (NSW)
of the NSW State Parliament So you can
quickly identify and contact the appropriate
local member or Minister.
- Destination NSW "We are the lead government agency for the New South Wales (NSW) tourism and major events sectors. .... This is our corporate website which features latest industry news, resources for industry and media releases.
- It's a Living
Thing "Our environment - it's a living thing is the overarching environmental education program of the NSW Government. This state-wide initiative motivates and encourages people to adopt environmentally sustainable lifestyles. By educating people about their impact on the environment, individuals are motivated to change their behaviours around the consumption of resources at home, work and play. Big gains can be made through simple, easy to adopt changes – from purchasing decisions through to disposal of goods. This Living Thing site contains information and tools to assist people to take action, and to feel good about doing it."
- Marine Parks
Authority, NSW An excellent website with
most of the information you'll need on current
and proposed parks, presented in a fast to
download, easy on the eye style. If any information
was left out, I didn't miss it. Finally ...
a .gov.au web site that "gets it"!
- NSW Department of Primary Industries - Fishing and Aquaculture An
excellent site design and information wise, for
professional and recreational fishers, and anyone
interested in our fish species, waterways and coast. "Over
2 million people go fishing each year in NSW. Our
fisheries resources belong to the whole community.
To keep them sustainable we're continually conducting
research, informing the public about responsible
fishing and patrolling the State's waterways." See
fouled with fishing tackle
Environment & Heritage NPWS Park management "NPWS manages more than 850 national parks and reserves, that is more than 7 million hectares comprising landscapes from rainforests and rugged bush to coastal landscapes and outback deserts. ... Park management documents include plans of management and fire management strategies. Plans of management contain information on the natural environments, Aboriginal heritage, history, and recreational opportunities in a park."
- NSW Forest Agreements "... are the result of consultation and consensus established between the NSW Government and major forest stakeholders. By detailing the agreed basis for long-term decisions on forest use and management, they provide certainty for industry, conservation and the community... ."
Department of Natural Resources (DNR) "The Department of Natural Resources was abolished in April 2007. Information formerly held on its website has been transferred to other NSW government agency sites." Landing page with redirect links to appropriate agencies.
- NSW Department of Transport - Maritime Services "Maritime is responsible for marine safety, regulation of commercial and recreational boating. Maritime is also responsible for property management of submerged lands in Sydney Harbour, Newcastle Harbour, Botany Bay and Port Kembla." Comprehensive, easy to navigate web site. If you're into waterbased recreation or a commercial operator on the waterways, check it out!
- Queensland (QLD)
and Events Queensland "This
site features news and media assistance,
business tools, industry information and
Great tools and resources for operators and travel industry.
- Department of Environment and Heritage Protection "... is responsible for managing the health of the environment to protect Queensland's unique ecosystems, including its landscapes and waterways, as well as its native plants and animals and biodiversity."
Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (GBRMPA). "The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority is responsible for managing the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park so it's protected for the future. .... Our work is guided by the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Act 1975, Corporate Plan, Australian Government policies, Portfolio Budget Statement, Outlook Report and government priorities. We use the best available scientific information to guide us, and engage with experts and the community. This includes four Reef Advisory Committees and 12 Local Marine Advisory Committees." Site Map
- Tasmiania (TAS)
Parks and Wildlife Service "To protect, present and manage in concert with the community, Tasmania's unique and outstanding reserve system for all people, for all time. To create and maintain a representative and world-renowned reserve system. To conserve the State's natural and cultural heritage while providing for sustainable use and economic opportunities for the Tasmanian community." A fast loading, pleasing web site with
extensive links to a range of information
and resources to do with outdoor recreation
- Western Australia (WA)
Australian Department of Parks and Wildife “The Department of Parks and Wildlife (DPaW) protects and conserves the State's natural environment on behalf of the people of Western Australia. ...Its key responsibilities include conserving biodiversity and managing the State's national parks, marine parks and other reserves, which cover a total area of more than 27 million hectares. Western Australia has 100 national parks and 13 marine parks with a diverse array of landscapes and seascapes, from coral reefs and tall forests to deep gorges and open plains of wildflowers. DPaW also manages two of the world's greatest long distance trails: the 1000 kilometre Bibbulmun Track for walkers, and the 1000 kilometre Munda Biddi Trail for cyclists.”
- WA Department of Environment Regulation. "Our purpose is to advise on and implement strategies for a healthy environment for the benefit of all current and future Western Australians."
- Department of Fisheries - Recreational Fishing
. “Western Australia boasts a wide range of fantastic recreational fishing opportunities. It is one of the State's most popular pastimes with an estimated third of the population fishing recreationally. With increasing fishing pressure and environmental changes, we need to manage our natural resources carefully to ensure there are fish for the future. An essential part of the management process is ensuring fishers follow the rules to keep our fish resources sustainable in Western Australia.”
Federal Government Agencies
- Parliament of Australia
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities Living sustainably. Sections include Environment quality, Energy efficiency and renewable energy programs, and publications and resources.
- Publications in stock "Most of our publications are only available online. To read a publication, click on the title of the publication. To order a printed copy of a publication click on (order printed copy) and complete our online order form." Covers subjects like Caring for our Country, Heritage, Indigenous communities, Parks and reserves, Wildlife trade and more.
Australia Corporate web site for the
Australian tourism industry with news & media, industry
advice/resources, research and statistics, as well
as some nice eye candy if you have a half
- The Australian Heritage Council "is the principal adviser to the Australian Government on heritage matters. The Council assesses nominations for the National Heritage List, and the Commonwealth Heritage List. The Minister may ask the Council for advice on action that he may take in relation to the List of Overseas Places of Historic Significance to Australia."
- Department of Sustainability, Environment, Water, Population and Communities "The department is responsible for implementing the Australian Government's policies to protect our environment and heritage, and to promote a sustainable way of life."
of Resources, Energy and Tourism "Tourism is a significant industry for Australia. It generates $94 billion in spending and contributes nearly $34 billion to Australia's GDP, directly employs over 500 000 people and earns nearly 10 per cent of our total export earnings, making it Australia's largest service export industry. ...The Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism (RET) works on a range of tourism policy, projects, programs and research to strengthen Australia's tourism industry and to grow Australia's tourism market share in a volatile and competitive global environment."
- Tourism Research Australia "is a branch within the Department of Resources, Energy and Tourism.We are Australia's leading provider of quality tourism intelligence across both international and domestic markets."
See also Australian
Political Parties and Development