Museum- Ecologic: EcoLogic resources; What
is ecologically sustainable development ? Excellent
range of ESD resources, with an Australian
- International Forest Carbon Initiative "Australia uses IFCI to lead developing countries toward reducing emissions from deforestation and forest degradation. We are developing a Global Carbon Monitoring System (GCMS) that can measure rates of deforestation and forest degradation by Monitoring, Reporting and Verifying (MRV) emissions of greenhouse gases due to these activities."
- Carbon Accounting A useful introduction to the concept of carbon
accounting and trading in plantation and old growth forests, from Wikipedia.
National Strategy for Ecologically Sustainable Development (1992). So you wanna be sustainable? Here's the checklist, with lot's of common-sense
solutions. Everything you need to consider
is here, no matter what kind of development
or enterprise you're contemplating. Now in
its 25th year, I wonder if we'd be up the flooded/fire ravaged creek as badly as we are now, had this strategy been fully embraced from the start.
- Ecosustainable "Improving
the quality of life for ourselves and for future
site is intended as our contribution towards
ecology, environment and sustainability by
providing a one-stop connection to resources
and tools that are made available to visitors
and researchers without charge. It is also
intended to provide a means of introducing
Eco Sustainable Developments to a broader
audience." Comprehensive selection of resources
in Australia and worldwide.
Institute for Sustainable Futures
(ISF) “We are a university research institute that has been creating change towards sustainable futures by conducting independent project based research for Australian and international clients since 1997. Our researchers and professional staff come from varied backgrounds, including engineering, architecture, management, economics, science, the social sciences, international studies and political studies."
- Clean Energy Regulator "The Renewable Energy Target is an Australian Government scheme designed to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases in the electricity sector and encourage the additional generation of electricity from sustainable and renewable sources. The Clean Energy Regulator administers the Renewable Energy Target's two schemes: the Large-scale Renewable Energy Target and the Small-scale Renewable Energy Scheme."
of Australia Parliamentry Library "... is part of the Department of Parliamentary Services and provides services to senators, members, their staff, the staff of parliamentary departments and the Governor-General."
Ecology Australia (UEA)"is
a community based non profit
educational association that
provides information on urban
ecological issues. ... working
to promote and create ecologically
integrated human settlements." Excellent
South Australian based site with
conference proceedings, papers,
projects and a great links page
to additional sustainable/ecofriendly
resources, including EcoBuildings,
EcoCities, EcoVillages and EcoPolitics.
Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists "The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists informs the public about threats to the survival and development of humanity from nuclear weapons, climate change, and emerging technologies in the life sciences. Through an award-winning magazine, our online presence, and the Doomsday Clock, we reach policy leaders and audiences around the world with information and analysis about efforts to address the dangers and prevent catastrophe. With fellowships for students and awards to young journalists, we help educate the next generation." Home of the Doomsday
Clock, the site provides
in depth analysis and policy
- The Guardian (UK)- Green politics A
collection of Guardian reports, articles, stories and advertising
features themed around green politics.
Suzuki Foundation: "Since
1990, the David Suzuki Foundation
has worked to find ways for society
to live in balance with the natural
world that sustains us. Focusing
on four program areas – oceans
and sustainable fishing, climate
change and clean energy, sustainability,
and the Nature Challenge - the
Foundation uses science and education
to promote solutions that conserve
nature and help achieve sustainability
within a generation. " Great
looking web site with newsroom,
reports, publications and weekly
columns. Issues are clearly
described and solutions guides
are available for download in
PDF, with additional externsive
links resources to other Canadian
and international solutions based
- The International
Bicycle Fund"is an independent,
non-profit organization. Its primary purpose
is to promote bicycle transportation. Most
IBF projects and activities fall into one
of four categories: planning and engineering,
safety education, economic development assistance
and promoting international understanding.
IBF's objective is to create a sustainable,
people-friendly environment by creating opportunities
of the highest practicable quality for bicycle
- Earth Council Alliance Previously the "Earth Council for Sustainable
Development", The mission of Earth Council Alliance is to Connect, Empower, and Advance Individuals and Organizations to create a Sustainable, Just and Peaceful Earth. The ECA emphasis is on supporting pragmatic, results-oriented programs worldwide, and matching people, partners, and resources to support local, regional, and national initiatives. ECA will use the Earth Charter and Agenda 21 as historical baselines to measure and celebrate progress .
Ecology Project is ... supported by a
grant from the National Science Foundation
and in conjunction with the Philosophy Department
and the Conservation Biology Program of the
University of California, Riverside. The
formal title of the project is Implications
of Disequilibrium Ecology for Environmental
Ethics and Policy." An interesting
paper on the emerging dispute between the "old-paradigm" and "new-paradigm"
ecologists. The site is no rather long in the tooth, but still interesting food for thought.
'Green Airport'? Meet the Star Port. by
Jim Starry (Earth Island Institute Journal
Autumn 2001 Vol. 16, No. 3). Economic Development
Through Environmental Design. "Thousands
of new airports are set to be built worldwide
within the next decade. An innovative design
called the StarPort could produce fuel savings
of 300 million gallons a year at each airport,
would require only one-third of the land
as a conventional facility and yield four
times the revenue." It's one of the
big dilemmas for any type of tourism. We
usually want to get to where we're going
as quickly as possible, and much of the time,
it's by decidedly environmentally unfriendly
modes of transport. Whilst it's US
centric, here's one possible way to help
mitigate the effects of using air travel.
- The Airport Design Utopian. Star Port revisited 12/06/12, by Sarah C. Rich — Architecture,Physics,Public Works,Transportation | Smithsonian.com
- See also How
to clean up your act.
The Guardian Saturday November
23, 2002. "Feeling
guilty about the pollution
your flights cause? Environment
correspondent John Vidal
reveals how to do something
about it." (Short
- International Dark-Sky
Association "To preserve
and protect the nighttime environment and
our heritage of dark skies through quality
outdoor lighting." ... Light pollution
is not a matter of life and death. Yet it
is important nonetheless, ... It produces
only glare and clutter, costing more than
$1 billion annually in wasted energy in the
United States alone. Reducing light pollution
is not difficult, but it does require that
public officials and ordinary citizens be
aware of the problem and act to counter it.
..." What can YOU DO? Lot's! And
there's plenty of practical material on this
site to ... (ahem) show you the light at
the end of the tunnel.
- The International
Institute for Sustainable Development (IISD) "The International Institute for Sustainable Development is a Canadian-based, international public policy research institute for sustainable development. ... IISD has chosen to focus on topics that are ripe for transformation—where a shift in policy has the potential to snowball and, before too long, to change the nature of the game. It is only through a focus on game-changers that we will make up the sustainability deficit that has accumulated and move towards a better future. Because we aim to make a difference in how policy is crafted and implemented, we translate the research insight into practical, realistic and cost-effective policy options that can be taken up by policy-makers at all levels."
- Ecological Sciences for Sustainable Development "UNESCO works to advance and promote science in the interests of peace, sustainable development and human security and well-being, in close collaboration with its Member States and a wide variety of partners. It is the only United Nations specialized agency, symbolized by the 'S' in the acronym, with a specific mandate for science."
and the Biosphere "Biosphere reserves
are sites established by countries working
with the UNESCO-MAB Programme to promote
biodiversity conservation and sustainable
development, based on local community efforts
and sound science. As places which
seek to reconcile economic development, social
development and environmental protection,
through partnerships between people and nature,
they are ideal to test and demonstrate approaches
to sustainable development at a regional
- Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Overpopulation
is the condition of any organism's numbers
exceeding the carrying capacity of its ecological
niche. In common parlance, the term usually
refers to the relationship between the human
population and its environment, the Earth."
- Sustainable Population Australia (SPA) "Formerly known as Australians for an Ecologically Sustainable Population, SPA is an ecological group dedicated to preserving species' habitats globally and in Australia from the degradation caused by human population growth. We work on many fronts to encourage informed public debate about how Australia and the world can achieve an ecologically sustainable population."
United Nations International
Conference on Population and
Development (ICPD) So, how are we doing? "...was
held from 5-13 September 1994
in Cairo, Egypt. During this
two week period world leaders,
high ranking officials, representatives
of non-governmental organizations
and United Nations agencies gathered
to agree on a Programme of Action." Extensive
links on the conference and related
Connection "Population Connection is the national grassroots population organization that educates young people and advocates progressive action to stabilize world population at a level that can be sustained by Earth's resources."
- SolarAid "Power
to the people Two of the biggest threats facing
humanity today are climate change and global poverty.
SolarAid helps to combat both, simply by bringing
clean, renewable power to the poorest people in
the world." The best ideas are simply
brilliant and brilliantly simple. Great idea,
great web site!
Measures: Thanks to Maureen Hart and
staff for providing this well designed and
comprehensive site, with lot's of valuable
sustainable indicators information (in html)
and links to related sites world-wide."This
web site is about indicators of sustainable
community: ways to measure how well a community
is meeting the needs and expectations of
its present and future members. One of the
primary goals of our site is to explain what
indicators are, how indicators relate to
sustainability, how to identify good indicators
of sustainability, and how indicators can
be used to measure progress toward building
a sustainable community."
Review on the economics of climate change" Link goes to the UK Government Web Archive. Like
Grandma always said, "An ounce of prevention
is worth a pound of cure".
Carrying Capacity: Area-Based Indicators
of Sustainability. by William E. Rees
PhD, 1996. "Conventional wisdom suggests
that because of technology and trade, human
carrying capacity is infinitely expandable
and therefore virtually irrelevant to demography
and development planning. By contrast, this
article argues that ecological carrying capacity
remains the fundamental basis for demographic
accounting." Almost 20 years later and there still seems to be little regard for carrying capacity in econimic modelling.
- Sustainable Communities Online "Sustainable Communities Online is the newly revised, updated, and redesigned website formerly known as the Sustainable Communities Network (SCN) website which was developed by a broad coalition of organizations around the United States in the mid-1990s. The intent of the SCN was to pool information on sustainability to make it more readily accessible to the public. CONCERN, Inc. and the Community Sustainability Resource Institute managed the SCN from 1993–2001 and CONCERN has managed it since then."
Nations Division for Sustainable Development "The Division for Sustainable Development (DSD) provides leadership in promoting and coordinating implementation of the sustainable development agenda of the United Nations. The United Nations Conference on Sustainable Development (Rio+20) which concluded on 22 June 2012, is been considered one of the largest conferences in the history of the United Nations. Governments renewed their strong political commitment to sustainable development and to promote integration and coherence of policies and the implementation of actions in the social, economic and environmental areas." Documents, reports and resources.
- Sustainable Development in the 21st century (SD21)" The overarching objective of the project is to construct a coherent vision of sustainable development in the 21st century, which will contribute to the success of the Rio+20 conference. The project, funded by the European Commission - Directorate-General for Environment, aims to provide a high quality analytical input to the Rio+20 conference."
- The World Resources
Institute WRI spurs progress by providing practical strategies for change and effective tools to implement them. We measure our success in the form of new policies, products, and practices that shift the ways governments work, businesses operate, and people act." Policy
wonk* heaven with solid real world solutions
See also Australian Government Agencies, Development
and Environment, Sustainable
Design & Management and Ecotourism Projects & Tourism Planning
World Wide Words: Policy
wonk. 1Problems: Henry J Kaiser.